JERUSALEM: City of Peace

The name Jerusalem in Hebrew is Yerushalayim, which means: I will see or provide the peace (Yireh + Shalom).

Those who have followed Jerusalem’s history can’t help but notice the irony of the name because on this “City of Peace” what has really prevailed is conflict and war. Jerusalem has been fought over by several empires, and has been completely destroyed several times; however, it has always risen up from the ashes and been rebuilt.

Will this City ever know peace? From a human perspective, this seems difficult or even impossible; men have not been able to establish peace in Jerusalem no matter how hard they try. However, for God nothing is impossible (Luke 1:37; Mark 10:27; Jeremiah 32:17, 27). The reality is that the Lord is the only one who can bring peace to Jerusalem.
(Isaiah 26:12) O LORD, you will ordain peace for us, for you have indeed done for us all our works.

(1 Chronicles 23:25) For David said, “The LORD, the God of Israel, has given rest to his people, and he dwells in Jerusalem forever.

(Jeremiah 33:6-9) Behold, I will bring to it health and healing, and I will heal them and reveal to them abundance of prosperity and security. (7) I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel, and rebuild them as they were at first. (8) I will cleanse them from all the guilt of their sin against me, and I will forgive all the guilt of their sin and rebellion against me. (9) And this city shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and a glory before all the nations of the earth who shall hear of all the good that I do for them. They shall fear and tremble because of all the good and all the prosperity I provide for it.

(Psalms 29:11) May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace!

We will see peace in Yerushalayim because God will provide it… through the Messiah:
(Ezekiel 37:24-28)  “My servant David shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall walk in my rules and be careful to obey my statutes. (25) They shall dwell in the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, where your fathers lived. They and their children and their children’s children shall dwell there forever, and David my servant shall be their prince forever. (26) I will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in their midst forevermore. (27) My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (28) Then the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”

(Haggai 2:6-9) For thus says the LORD of hosts: Yet once more, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land. (7) And I will shake all nations, so that the treasures of all nations shall come in, and I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts. (8) The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the LORD of hosts. (9) The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the LORD of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the LORD of hosts.

PRAY FOR THE PEACE
Although we are expecting for the Messiah to come and bring peace to the world, this does not mean that we have to just sit there, doing nothing. Jeremiah, the prophet, tells us that the Lord is asking who will intercede for the peace of Jerusalem…
(Jeremiah 15:5) Who will have pity on you, O Jerusalem, or who will grieve for you? Who will turn aside to ask about your welfare?

The psalmist also compels us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
(Psalms 122:6-9) Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! “May they be secure who love you! (7) Peace be within your walls and security within your towers!” (8) For my brothers and companions’ sake I will say, “Peace be within you!” (9) For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your good.

Some say: “why would we pray for the ‘peace of Jerusalem’ when it is obvious that there will never be peace there?” Although this reasoning sounds logical to the human mind, it reveals a lack of knowledge of God’s promises. Although man could never bring peace, for God nothing is impossible. The Lord will bring peace to Jerusalem because He promised it.
(Micah 4:2-4) and many nations shall come, and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. (3) He shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore; (4) but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid, for the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken.

(Isaiah 9:6-7) For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (7) Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.

When we pray for the peace of Jerusalem, by implication we are praying for the coming of the Messiah, who will finally bring peace when he establishes his throne on that city. The peace will not come through “peace treaties” but when all the nations submit to the Lord’s authority. Peace comes by doing the will of God…
(Isaiah 48:17-22) Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go. (18) Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea; (19) your offspring would have been like the sand, and your descendants like its grains; their name would never be cut off or destroyed from before me.” (20) Go out from Babylon, flee from Chaldea, declare this with a shout of joy, proclaim it, send it out to the end of the earth; say, “The LORD has redeemed his servant Jacob!” (21) They did not thirst when he led them through the deserts; he made water flow for them from the rock; he split the rock and the water gushed out. (22) “There is no peace,” says the LORD, “for the wicked.”


LET’S PRAY…
Today we come before you and we call upon your Name because we know that you hear us when we pray to You. We will seek you and we will find you because we have searched for you with all our hearts. Today we come together to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. May you have peace within your walls, and rest within your palaces. For the love of my brothers and my partners I say: Peace be with you. For the love of the house of Jehovah our God, I will seek for the good of Jerusalem. We join ourselves to Your Will, Lord.
Although our eyes cannot see it today, we believe that you will bring peace to Jerusalem, and the entire world. We will not get carried away by the news nor will we allow the circumstances to take the peace from within us, because we know that your thoughts are of peace and well being, and not of evil. We believe, Lord, that You will do what you have promised and bring peace to Israel. Yehovah, You are God, and there is no other like You. Amen.
(Psalms 122; Isaiah 45:5-7; Jeremiah 29:11-14)

More articles on the Promised Land, in the page: Israel


Comments